• Bradley Cooper as . . . Ben
• Tagline: High Times. Hard Bodies. Soft Rock.
• Director: David Wain
• Writer: Michael Showalter & David Wain
• Release Date: January 23, 2001
• MPPA Rating: R for strong sexual content, language and a drug sequence.
• Parents Guide:
View content advisory for parents
• Genre: Comedy | Romance
• Runtime: 97 minutes
• Official Site | IMDB | Photos | Videos
The setting is Camp Firewood, the year 1981. It’s the last day before everyone goes back to the real world, but there’s still a summer’s worth of unfinished business to resolve. At the center of the action is camp director Beth, who struggles to keep order while she falls in love with the local astrophysics professor. He is busy trying to save the camp from a deadly piece of NASA’s Skylab which is hurtling toward earth. All that, plus: a dangerous waterfall rescue, love triangles, misfits, cool kids, and talking vegetable cans. The questions will all be resolved, of course, at the big talent show at the end of the day
From the Gallery
Movie Productions > Wet Hot American Summer > Posters
• Janeane Garofalo … Beth
• David Hyde Pierce … Henry Newman
• Michael Showalter … Gerald ‘Coop’ Cooperberg / Alan Shemper
• Marguerite Moreau … Katie
• Michael Ian Black … McKinley
• Zak Orth … J.J.
• A.D. Miles … Gary
• Paul Rudd … Andy
• Christopher Meloni … Gene
• Molly Shannon … Gail von Kleinenstein
• Ken Marino … Victor Kulak
• Joe Lo Truglio … Neil
• Amy Poehler … Susie
• Gideon Jacobs … Aaron
• This movie was based on Camp Modin (Belgrade, Maine), the summer camp director David Wain went to.
• Although called wet hot, the credits thank the crew for surviving a cold, wet Pennsylvania spring. You can also see the actors’ breaths at points during the movie.
• The owners of Camp Towanda (where the movie was filmed) were told that this was going to be a family comedy. They were mortified when they saw the final cut of the film.
• During the scene where Beth (Janeane Garofalo) is announcing which campers need to put their trunks out for an early bus, Janeane Garofalo improvised most of the names. You can hear her call for “David Ben-Gurion,” who was the first Prime Minister of Israel.
• It rained 25 out of 29 days during filming of this movie.
• Bradley Cooper had to miss his graduation ceremony to film this movie.
• While Coop is listing for Katie all the reasons he loves her, one of the things he says is “I love it that sometimes for no reason you’re late for shul.” “Shul” is a Yiddish term that refers (sometimes colloquially) to a Jewish house of worship (also known as a synagogue or a temple).
Susie: [angry that Beth has invited Steve to take part in the talent show] Beth, I may regret saying this, but how dare you usurp my authority as producer…
Susie: … director-slash-choreographer of the talent show. I need you to know I have been busting my *balls*, woman! I am telling you, the musical numbers are a mess, my kids are a bunch of amateurs, and the last thing I need today is some diabetic freak prancing around on stage making my life a living *hell*!
Susie: [after a long pause and a glare from Beth] All right; I’ll put him on last.
[Beth walks away]
Susie: [to Ben] Oh, she always wins!
Susie: You guys, I’m really going to miss this place.
Coop: Me too.
Ben: Hey, let’s all promise that in ten years from today, we’ll meet again, and we’ll see what kind of people we’ve blossomed into.
Ben: What time do you wanna meet?
J.J.: You mean ten years from now?
Coop: Let’s meet in the morning so we can make a day of it.
Susie: Okay, so what is it? Is it like 9:00? 9:30?
Coop: Well, let’s say 9:00, that way we can be here by 9:30.
McKinley: Well, no, why don’t we say 9:30, and then make it your beeswax to be here by 9:30? I mean, we’ll all be in our late 20s by then. I just don’t see any reason why we can’t be places on time.
Gary: Okay, then, it’s settled. 9:30 it is. All agreed?
McKinley: Good, because I have something at 11:00.
Gary: You just have like a trapper-keeper full of appointments, right?
McKinley: No, I just have something at 11:00, and I can’t change it, because I already moved it twice.